Saturday, August 27, 2011

Field trip to Sydney - Part One

Last Thursday my painting class and I went on a field trip up to Sydney to visit some art galleries. It was such a fun day plus it was very helpful towards my major this semester. I was so inspired after we had finish that I wanted to share with you guys some of the amazing works that I saw. Now in total we went to 5 art galleries so I will share my Sydney adventure over a series of posts throughout the coming days :)
So to begin this post and images are from the first gallery we went to, which was the Rex Irwin Art Dealer gallery. I had never been to this gallery, but after our visit I was very impressed and will definitely be keeping my eye on it for future exhibitions. We were delighted to have the owner Rex Irwin himself (On right in the picture above) to give us a talk about the current exhibition that was showing called 'The Age of Expressionism 1900 – 1929'. The exhibition showed print works from the German artist's Max Beckmann, George Grosz, Käthe Kollwitz and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff. I have always had a love for German art as I am so inspired by it, especially during the early decades of the 20th century. So this was definitely one of my favourite visits of the day. This exhibition was also part of another exhibition that is currently on show at the Art Gallery NSW, but more to come on that later.

Max Beckmann
1. Selbstbildnis mit Griffel c 1916 (Self-portrait with stylus)
Drypoint
29.8 x 23.4 cm 
2. Selbstbildnis 1918 (Self-portrait) 
Drypoint
27.5 x 25.8 cm
3. Kaschemme 1922 (Tavern) 
Lithograph
45 x 33.7 cm  4. Nackttanz 1922 (Strip teaze) 
Lithograph47.3 x 37.2 cm 
4. Nackttanz 1922 (Strip teaze)
Lithograph
47.3 x 37.2 cm 


George Grosz
1. Inflation 1921 (Inflation)
Photolithograph
34 x 23.5 cm
2. Streichholzverkäufer und Doppelstreife 1920-21 (Matchseller and Patrol)
Photolithograph
25.3 x 20.8 cm 

 
Käthe Kollwitz
1. Die Gefangenen 1908 (The prisoners)
Etching, drypoint, emery and soft-ground etching
32 x 42.3 cm
2. Zertretene - Arme Familie Before 1900 (Trampled - Poor family)
Etching and drypoint
22.9 x 19.5 cm
3. Not 1897 (Distress)
Lithograph
15.2 x 15 cm


Karl Schmidt-Rottluff

1. Selbstbildnis 1914 (Self portrait)
Woodcut
46.8 x 38.7 cm
2. Mädchen aus Kowno 1918 (Girl from Kovno)
Woodcut
50 x 39.1 cm
3. Heiliger Franziskus 1919 (St Francis)
Woodcut
59.5 x 48.5 cm 
4. Grosse Prophetin 1919 (Large prophetess)
Woodcut
50 x 39.3 cm


We were also treated to a private viewing of some of Rex Irwin's private collection of artworks. My favourite piece was this massive painting by the Australian artist Nicholas Harding. Irwin had such an amazing collection of works and he was such a character. If you ever visit his gallery be sure to catch him and have a chat with him.

Nicholas Harding
1. River figures (two hats) 2009
Oil on Belgian linen
138x198cm

Georg Baselitz
1. Sitzender Akt 1976 (Seated nude) 
Ink, charcoal, watercolour, Silberbronze on hand made paper 
77.6 x 53.2 cm  
2. Schmidt-Rottluff 1983
Gouache and watercolour on Fabriano hand made paper 
69.4 x 49.7 cm 
3. Schmidt-Rottluff 1983 
Watercolour on Fabriano hand made paper 
69.7 x 49.7 cm 

So that is the first part of my Sydney trip and I hope you guys are enjoying it so far. I have so much more to share with you and it only gets better. If you wish to view some of the other works from the exhibition or to find our any information relating to then visit this page of the full list of artworks included in the exhibition. I will share another post from my field tomorrow and will the next one later during next week.

Photo Credit: Myself, except for the first photo of me which one of my class mates took. Images of singular artworks were found on the Rex Irwin Art Dealer Gallery website.

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP